- Air and surface temperature must be 50°F (5°C) and rising.
- SURFACE MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY. Moisture bag test should be used to confirm. Surface must be clean and free of any contaminants which may include but not limited to oils, grease, sand, dirt, dust, loose aggregate, curing compound, mud, soil and salt.
- Portland Cement concrete curing compound must be completely removed by sandblasting, water blasting or grinding of the road surface. *If water blasting method is chosen a minimum of 24 hours drying time is required before tape installation.
- ALWAYS USE BUTT SPLICES.
- Do not apply tape directly over deteriorating markings or substrates, or lane delineation devices.
- Tapes or Rumble Strips applied directly over seams and joints must be cut through 1" on both sides of the seams or joints to prevent de-bonding of large sections of tape.
- APPLY AN ATM PRIMER ON ALL SURFACES EXCEPT NEWLY LAID ASPHALT AT LEAST 30 DAYS OLD. Allow adhesive to completely dry before installing the markings.
- Nighttime installations must be completely dry for a minimum of 24 hours prior to installation and remain completely dry for a minimum of 24 hours after installation.
- Firmly tamp longitudinal tape in the same direction as tape was applied on the initial pass. A minimum of three passes total are required. Use a tamper device with a minimum 200 lb. (90kg) load and a tamping surface a minimum 2" wider than the width of tape being applied. Never twist the tampering device during tamping. Repeat tamping as necessary to insure tape has completely conformed to the road surface.
- Marked roadway can be open to traffic immediately.
- Firmly tamp transverse marking symbol / legends using an approved ATM Tamper Cart with a minimum 200lb. (90kg) load. A minimum of three passes total are required.
- It is recommended that gloves be worn when handling ATM material.
- DO NOT DOUBLE STACK RUMBLE STRIPS
If an installer has questions concerning the types of surface that preformed polymer tape can be applied or weather conditions not referred to above, they may contact their local ATM Regional Manager or 252-536-2574 ext.138.