Preformed Polymer Tapes
· Air and surface temperature must be 40°F (5°C) and rising.
· Surface must be completely dry*.
· Surface must be clean and free of any contaminants which may include but not limited to oils, grease, sand, dirt, dust, loose aggregate, curing compound, mud, soil and salt.
· Portland cement concrete curing compound must be completely removed by sandblasting, water blasting or grinding of the road surface. *If water blasting method is chosen a minimum of 24 hours drying time is required before tape installation.
· Always use butt splices.
· Do not apply tape directly over deteriorating markings or substrates, or lane delineation devices.
· Tapes or Rumble Strips applied directly over seams and joints must be cut through 1" on both sides of the seams or joints to prevent de-bonding of large sections of tape.
· Apply an ATM Primer for all permanent applications except:
v Tamped Hot Asphalt Inlay Method (see instructions below).
· Allow Primer to completely dry before installing the markings.
· Road surface must be completely dry for a minimum of 24 hours prior to installation of ATM products. The road surface must remain completely dry for a minimum of 24 hours after installation.
· Firmly tamp longitudinal tape in the same direction as tape was applied on the initial pass. A minimum of three passes total are required. Use a tamper device with a minimum 200 lb. (90kg) load and a tamping surface a minimum 2" wider than the width of tape being applied. Never twist the tampering device during tamping. Repeat tamping as necessary to insure tape has completely conformed to the road surface.
· Firmly tamp transverse marking symbol/legends using a tamper device with a minimum 200 lb. (90kg) load. Never twist the tampering device during tamping. Repeat tamping as necessary to insure tape has completely conformed to the road surface. A minimum of three passes total are required.
· Marked roadway can be open to traffic immediately.
TAMPED HOT ASPHALT INLAY METHOD
· Surface temperature must be 120°F (49°C) - 175°F (79°C).
· Do not attempt to inlay tape during rain or snow.
· Apply tape only after initial compaction has taken place.
· When process is complete, the inlayed tape surface should be even with the road surface.
· Insure general conditions can be met.
· After compaction, mark surface where tape will be applied. DO NOT LAY TAPE ON SEAMS OR JOINTS.
· Apply tape either by hand or with a tape applicator cart.
· Always use butt splices.
· Finish rolling pavement surface.
NOTE: If Tape distorts or wrinkles, surface temperature may be too hot or roller speed may be too fast.
* Moisture bag test may be used to confirm surface is dry.